Pages

Friday, March 14, 2014

Logo Design

Mockups

A couple of months ago,  I got ask to do a logo for a client who is launching her own non-profit organization. When talking to the client and trying to get a better understanding of what she wants her logo to look like, I had no idea of how I was going to make all the things that she wanted in her logo come to life.

Final Logo
After, hearing about what her organization is going to be about and what is type of audience she is going to attract. I sketched up all the ideas of what she wanted her logo to look like and then I sketched up ideas that I think she go with. I know you are probably thinking why did I do two sketches of her logos? As a designer I feel that sometimes you need to show the client what they asked for and what you know would be better. Remember, when designing you are the expert, you know what the design would look like when its printed, when its shrink to print on a business card, when its used for social media, etc. Once, I was done sketching the logo, I then did some mockup versions in Adobe Illustrator. I chose Illustrator because her logo was text and I think Illustrator is perfect for that.


A guy t-shirt
My client
After, showing her my mockups and saying what I think would be best for logo. We decide to go another route of what she wanted her logo to look like. After spending a couple of days reworking the design I thought about her audience and the people she will be attracting to the organization and the logo needs to attract the same people. So, I put my self in the audience shoes and saying to myself what would get my attention to want to say "Yes, I will come out to any event that you are having". Once I did that the "design juice" started flowing. I showed the client the final product and she loved and the movement of her organization.

So what I am trying to say here is that you never know your process that you are going to go through when designing for a client. The idea that they have their head could be great but when they see the idea come to life it can change the way their whole idea concept. As, the designer you should be patience with the client, don't be afraid to tell them NO that is not going to work. Also, take risk by designing something that they didn't ask for! Remember if the design doesn't work in BLACK and WHITE then it is not a good design!







No comments:

Post a Comment